Sunday, March 04, 2007

Chat and the use of English? A good possibility.



Desde Julio de 2006 he estado trabajando un proyecto con Avatars y Chatter Bots para usarlos en como personajes animados en una sala de chat para medir el uso (competencia comunicativa) de inglés de un estudiante, hablante como segundo idioma o como hablante nativo. Junto a Pandorabots y Media Semantics y una empresa Chilena de Telecomunicaciones , que por ahora prefiere el anonimato, la idea central: incluirlo en la capacitación y/o estudio del idioma inglés como segundo idioma en nuestro país.
Así he diseñado en lenguaje artificial e imagenes avatars aportadas por Oddcast, que en una segunda etapa ocuparan voz ademas de sus movimientos. La primera Bot es Amaya en honor a mi hija, y el segundo Don Pancho English en honor al colegio en que trabajo en la ciudad de Castro, el Liceo Francisco Coloane. Si deseas practicar tu inglés con mi hija Chatterbot AMAYA, sigue este link.

3 comments:

Benjamín Pérez Villena said...

Cool... I would like to learn more and more english with the chats...indeed I am in practicing now. Is a good idea....
Grettings from Santiago
Your "tocayo"
Benjamín

Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamín,
This is something really new for me. I had never seen it before. Are your students currently using this software? What do they think about it? Well, I have many questions about it: how do you program the phrases and sentences? Is it possible to customize the software, I mean, can you program them to ask students about current issues? (sort of "what do you think about the match between ... and ...?")
Congratulations for your job. It really sounds interesting.

See you!

Luis E Sepúlveda, Chillán
(we met at English Summer Town 2006, maybe you remember me ...)

Benjamin Perez Carrillo said...

Nice hearing you Luis,

Well I'm just starting this semester with a practical class of students from different levels and schools in Chiloé. Please send me your e-mail or phone contact to benperezc@gmail.com
I promise I will answer all your questions and also keep you updated with my progress and work with the chatbots.